STI Essential Questions:
- How does physical geography affect Northwest tribes’ culture, economy, and where they choose to settle and trade?
- What is the legal status of the tribes who negotiated or who did not enter into United States treaties?
- What were the political, economic, and cultural forces that led to the treaties?
- What are the ways in which tribes responded to the threats and outside pressure to extinguish their cultures and independence?
- What have local tribes done to meet the challenges of reservation life? What have these tribes, as sovereign nations, done to meet the economic and cultural needs of their tribal communities?